- My safety valve opened
- Low shot weight
- Water is leaking from the side of the machine
- Water is leaking from beneath the portafilter
- How to look after your heat transfer plate
- Coffee is bubbling from the portafilter
- Water is spitting from the chimney
- Water is leaking from the safety valve
- My machine isn't producing espresso
Water is leaking from beneath the portafilter
If you have water leaking between the grouphead and the portafilter, as signalled by the arrow in the photo, the solution below will help solve this problem.
A leak between the upper boiler and the portafilter is most likely to be a result of the portafilter not being turned quite far enough to achieve a full seal. The portafilter seals at the point where the two handles sit at 90 degrees to each other, or even a little further. The exact position will vary a little between machines.
When the machine is new, it may take some extra force to get the handles to this point; it’s fine to be a little more forceful than normal at this stage. After a few uses the machine will have bedded-in, and it will be much easier to turn the handles to this sealing point.
The photo below shows the point at which the portafilter seals: