- My safety valve opened
- Low shot weight
- Water is leaking from the side of the machine
- Water is leaking from beneath the portafilter
- How to look after your heat transfer plate
- Coffee is bubbling from the portafilter
- Water is spitting from the chimney
- Water is leaking from the safety valve
- My machine isn't producing espresso
Water is spitting from the chimney
Water is spitting out of the chimney while the machine is brewing. This may mean that the machine only produces a little bit of espresso, or none at all. Solutions for each are below:
1. If the machine isn’t producing any coffee at all:
This is usually because the boiler o-ring has come out of it’s correct position – this article explains how to fix the issue.
2. If the machine is producing some coffee, but less than 40g:
This is usually caused by a damaged boiler o-ring, or the need to descale your machine – this article explains how to fix the issue.
3. If the machine is producing a full 40g shot of espresso:
If the machine is spitting water from the chimney and it’s producing a full shot of espresso, you just need to fill the boiler with a little less water; we’d recommend 110g instead of 120g.
If you’ve recently used soapy water to clean the machine then this may also be the cause. It’s not necessary to use soapy water, using warm water to rinse the machine should be sufficient.